Quick and Easy. 2 BIG words I always love as a mother. #likeaboss
I discovered that being mothers, we tend to be always on-the-go. We rarely find time to putting any make up and we even do not care if we’re still in the same pj’s piece for 2 consecutive weeks. What we do care is “get things done without killing anyone”. Thus, we consecutively end up on inventing new hacks to our routines. For example, on Saturday night I dress my son up and let him sleep wearing good pair of tee/shirt to minimize any amount of drama before we left for church on Sunday morning.
Now, let’s move on to the real business. Let’s talk about cooking. When it comes to preparing daily meal for the family. I apply this super mama hack which has saved me a lot of times and cost. I limit myself to cook a meal with 5 ingredients only. YES! you hear me! 5 ONLY!! The goal is creating something quick and easy with minimal resources you mostly have around your kitchen the bench. And the result is deliciousoooo… TRUST ME!
SUPER 5 (FIVE) INGREDIENTS MEAL
Grandma’s Shepherd Pie
Served: 3-4 pax // Prep: 10 mins // Cooking duration: 45mins
500 gr pork/beef mince
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
500 gr Dutch cream potato
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp Kikkoman reduced salt soy sauce
1 tbsp vegetable oil
salt to taste
pepper to taste
- Boil water in a large pot and season it with salt. Peel the Dutch potatoes. Cut them up into quarter. Put them into the boiling water. Cook them until soft (use fork to check their softness)
- Once its cooked, drain them. Put them aside and let it cool.
- Pre-heat up the oven to 200°C (fan-forced)
- Heat up a non-sticky pan in a medium hit. Put 1 tbsp of vegetable oil.
- Place pork/beef mince in a heated pan for 3-4 minutes.
- Add frozen mixed vegetables, cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add garlic powder and Kikkoman soy sauce. Stir and cook for further 5 minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- While waiting for the mince to be cooked. Work on your mashed potatoes. Mash / beat the cooked cool potatoes with fork till soft.
- Spoon the stir fry mince to a baking dish. Layer them with mashed potato on top.
- Baked for 25-30 minutes (or until golden). Serve while its hot.
Salmon Dill Pasta
Served: 3-4 pax // Prep: 5 mins // Cooking duration: 20mins
240 gr spaghetti (or any preferable pasta)
250 gr salmon
1 tsp lemon juice
6 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
1 handful dill (finely chopped)
4 tbsp olive oil
salt to taste
pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven 180°C (fan forced). Take off the salmon skin. Put the skin aside. Place the salmon on a aluminum foil, seasoned with salt & pepper. Add 1tsp of lemon juice and chopped dill. Wrap the salmon and bake it for 15-20 minutes, till cooked and soft.
- Boil water in a large pan. Season it with salt and place the pasta in. Cooked it for 8-10 minutes.
- Heat up a non-sticky pan, place 4 tbsp of olive oil.
- Wait till it’s popping hot, dip in the chopped garlic. And drain them aside.
- Place back the non-stick pan on the stove. Heat up some oil. Season salmon skin with grounded salt. And place them upside down till its crispy. Put it aside.
- Stir cooked pasta into heated garlic olive oil on tha pan for another 2 minutes.
- Served them with cooked salmon and top it off with the crispy salmon skin.
Stir Fry Butter Chicken with Bok-Choy
Served: 3-4 pax // Prep: 5 mins // Cooking duration: 12 mins
500 gr chicken thighs/ chicken breast (for healthier lean option)
1 brown onion (chopped)
2 tbsp sweet soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 baby bok – choy
60 gr reduced – salt butter
salt to taste
jasmine rice to serve
- Heat up a non-sticky pan on high heat, place butter on it, then chopped brown onion. Sautee them for 2 minutes or until golden soft.
- Diced the chicken thighs. And place them in the pan for the next 5 minutes, then turn the other side for the next 3 minutes.
- While waiting for the chicken to be cooked, steam the baby bok-choy, season with salt & pepper (add some garlic for more zingy taste).
- Stir the sweet soy sauce and tomato ketchup into the fried chicken. Cook for another 2 minutes until all chicken equally covered by the sauce.
- Place steamed baby bok-choy on a round plate, top it with rice on the side and stir fry butter chicken in the middle.
I hope you enjoy these recipes and more in love with homemade cooking as I do. I am working on some more new easy recipes. So stay tuned for more inspiration. And feel free to share some feedbacks or recipes on the comment below. I would love to try them too. X