Whether you live in a small apartment or have a tiny room in your home, it’s quite likely that you’re going to get yourself into some trouble figuring out how to make your space livable. – Shelby Wax
Our growing family lives in a 800 feet; 2 bedroom apartment. There are 3 (soon to be 4 ) living under the roof; 2 adults, 1 toddler, and 1 newborn’s on the way.
Not to brag that we have a LOT of stuffs. toys and music instruments, since my boys are musician buddies. For more than a year since we moved in, we have never felt comfortable with the space that we’re staying in. You will see stacked stuffs on every corner of the room. Or perhaps some squeezed things in between the cupboards. Trust me, the view was really unpleasant to the eyes and soul. Limited storage is mainly the only problem we could jot down on the list. But then, I realised, if we didn’t try to make things work, it won’t do any good to us, especially with the next living human addition is going to enter the house.
Thus, this year, we made a new resolution to create a livable home for the family.
After spending 264 nights on pinterest, we came up with 10 hacks of making small spaces livable. Hope we did something right, and may inspire you to start revamping your space.
10 SMALL SPACE HACKS YOU MAY NEVER CAME ACROSS BEFORE
- TALL THIN LEGS – Furniture with tall thin legs are the go-to solution for the storage issues. They looks light, they don’t use up a lot space in the room, we are able to tuck away stools or extra storage baskets underneath.
- VINTAGE CRATE – Do you have some unused crate? Do not throw them away, store your magazine and books there. And in case you need a coffee table, it will do too.
- SKIP THE FLOOR LAMP – proper lighting is really needed in the room, but sometimes a floor lamp could be very burden. Instead, hang the lamp next to your bed or working table. Then, you may have more free space to work on the ground.
- HIDE THEM SHOES – Who love shoes? I DO!. Too many is never enough to me. I loose count on my black shoes. Duh. But, seeing them placed on along the doorway is way too heavy, plus it leaves stains on the wall too. So, why not hiding them at the back of the door and leave your doorway clean and tidy.
- CLEAN STATE – Visually open up your space by painting your walls white. The neutral works wonders at making a home feel bigger and brighter.
- MULTIFUNCTION FURNITURE – It’s all about functionality. Be smart in choosing your furniture and homewares. Pick high-tech things which covers 2-3 functions for the house. For example, I bought this bedside table/coffee table/speaker. It has Bluetooth and phone charger too. Perfect for a relaxing night in my room.
- COLLECTIBLE JARS – You may have no space for another boxes or baskets in your room. No worries. Collect more pretty jars in your room, and store your jewelry, cables, and stationaries in there. Other thing, these jars will add some aesthetic look to your room.
- EMBRACE MIRRORS – Invest on some mirrors. It will definitely adding reflective surfaces to open up a tiny space.
- FLOAT UP – Shelving units are great for adding some much needed organization to a home, but they can also take up quite a bit of space. Consider using floating shelves instead that let you place other furniture pieces below.
- STICK ON THE WALL – Great way to store your outfit master-piece is by hanging them on the wall. Make them a statement in the room.
Motivation is a horrible leader. So, don’t wait to be motivated. be active and motivation will follow. – @crtvchurch
Above are some results of our “active response” towards the new year. We are still waiting on some deliveries and giving some finishing touch to some rooms here and there. We are extremely happy with how it turned out so far. It’s not the best compare to other houses. Yet it is livable for the whole crew of The Tjungs Squad. (well, isn’t it the end goal, is it?) Both adults and my kid are happy to stay longer in the house while creating beautiful memories here.
What about YOU?! Are you still waiting for some motivation to do your house or are you ready to make some move to make things happen?!
Full house tour blog is coming up in a few months time, predicted to be out before the 2nd baby arrives. So, stay tuned for more. And if you’re happy with the home decor contents and wanting more of this, please like and share this blog and follow my motherhood journey being unfolded every single week. Bye for now. X